On 05/26/2018 11:47 PM, Robert Großkopf wrote:
Hi *,

I 'm using the internal database for deveopement of databases, with
pupils in scool and for some little projects, which only need a
standalone-database. For "normal" use I also prefer MariaDB. The native
driver had some (little) problems here so I switched to JDBC. I am using

to connect to MariaDB and don't loose the connection to the server.

Problem for MariaDB/MySQL: You have to know much about SQL or you must
create the tables with PHPMyAdmin or something else for using
Innodb-tables and create relationships between them.

Regards

Robert
Robert,
Your "Problem for MariaDB/MySQL" has not been my experience. Yes, LO will not create the database. That must be done with the MariaDB/MySQL tools. I use the "mysql" tool and the "GRANT" and "CREATE DATABASE" commands to create my empty database. As you say, there are other tools available to do this. Use whatever tool fits your "hand". After the database is created, Base can be used to do all the rest: create tables, add relationships, etc. I did need to learn a bit of SQL to do some sorting of lists (tables) so they are alphabetically listed in the forms I made. I found the book "Teach Yourself SQL in 24 Hours" by Ryan Stephens and Ron Plew, published by Sams, to be of value to me.

To create the relationships, I use the "Queries" "Database" option of Base and the "Tasks" options. I prefer to start with the "Create Query in Design View" to do most of the work. In this option, the screen has two main windows. The top window is for adding tables and relationships. The bottom window is for specifying the Query output fields. Then, instead of specifying the table directly in a form or report data source, I reference the query for the form or report's data source input. This part of Base is very nice to use. Base then creates the SQL for you. If you really need to see or edit the SQL for the query, you can do that by editing in SQL mode. You can switch between the SQL editing mode and the "Design" editing mode with the Turn Design View Off/On icon. You can even "Run" the SQL or design to verify the output is what you expected with the "Run Query" icon. Slick.

BTW: I am currently running Mariadb 10.0.34 with mysql-connector-java 5.1.42 and LO 5.3.4 and AOO 4.1.5 under Slackware Linux 14.2 (k4.4.118_smp). I have a database with many tables and relationships and several Base forms for data entry/maintenance on each table. I have several reports with different data sorting to sort the table data by different fields. Each report and form has their own query. Several of my tables have thousands of records. Most of my tables contain critical inventory data that I need in my work. So, my Base usage is not trivial and losing it, including the report generation, would be painful to me.

HTH.
Girvin