Jonathon,

Thank you so much for all your information. It is obvious that I have a
bundle to learn about all of this.

Since asking your thoughts about markdown text files, I discovered a
screen reader provided with my Linux Mint 18. I've been playing with it
with various file formats. So far, it seems to like plain Markdown and
the HTML files it produces (at least for the simple text files I've
created -- i.e., no tables, graphics, etc.) Whether in Markdown source
text or the resulting HTML, it recognizes the heading levels. However,
it reads right over other tags, such as **boldface** without
interpretation. It even ignores quotation marks (which I had "smartened"
with Smartypants, which could be a problem for a blind person not able
to discern what are my words or the words of someone I'm quoting.) I've
also found that if I load anything *but* a Markdown file into my Geany
text editor, the screen reader tells me that the file doesn't have a
Markdown file type and refuses to read it.

The screen reader that comes with Mint is Orca and I am truly just
starting to learn it. For example, while writing this email, I took a
break to search for Orca preferences and just literally found out how to
access them through the terminal. So, I'm less than a noob on a11y tools
(I also just learned what a11y means.)

I obviously have never had a vision impaired student in any of my
college courses, so these issues have never arisen. However, I have used
various resources for my work. For example, for slide presentations, I
have used LO Impress, LaTeX (Beamer class) and AsciiDoc's Slidy backend.
Impress has its native ODF file format, LaTeX produces a PDF and
AsciiDoc Slidy produces an HTML presentation. In addition to showing the
presentations during class, I provide my students with the files so they
can read them in their own studies. Over this summer, I will experiment
to see how well each file format works with the Orca reader.

I also give a lot of essay style assignments where I create a document
with the questions, email the file to my students and have them fill in
the answers and email the completed assignment back to me. So far, as I
mentioned in my original post on this thread, I have used LO to create
the document and then I have shared it with my students as an MS Word
DOC format as most of them use Word, which is provided to them free as
students. It has worked well, but I never considered visual a11y concerns.

Tanstaafl has suggested fillable PDF files, but so far, I haven't gotten
Orca to read any PDF file I've created (fillable or not), whether
created through LO or LaTeX. I'm sure the problem is my infantile
understanding of the tools, so I'll keep learning.

In the meantime, I am toying with the thought of using plain text for my
take home assignments, either with or without Markdown tags (although
Orca reads my plain Markdown heading tags (#, ##, etc.) very well). As I
think about it, my take home assignments don't *need* any formatting as
they're not intended to be printed out. They are, in fact, just plain text.

Thank you again for all your information and help. You've introduced me
to a whole new world I had never considered, perhaps because, being
fairly well sighted, I never thought much about the difficulties facing
the visually impaired.

I'm reminded of the courthouse where I worked in my lawyering days. It
was constructed in the 1970s when split-level construction was all the
rage. It was built on four levels and the only way to access each level
was through short flights of stairs (about 10 steps each). The
architects obviously had working legs for nobody ever thought how a
wheelchair bound litigant was supposed to get to the courtroom on the
fourth level, or the clerk's office on the third level, or the restrooms
on the first level, not to mention the main entrance on the second
level. It was all idiotic.

Virgil