On 04/04/2018 05:56 PM, Regina Henschel wrote:
Hi Charles,

charles meyer schrieb am 04.04.2018 um 22:19:
WordPerfect has reveal codes which display the numbers for a special
character so they're easy to find instead of scrolling down hundred of
symbols in a chart.

Ex. ►

Will any version of Libre Writer do that, including LO 6?

Yes, it is implemented at least since 5.4. The command is "Toggle Unicode Notation" and it has the shortcut key Alt+X. It toggles the character left from the cursor to U+number and back.

And in LO 6 a new special character dialog is implemented. It has a search field, where you can enter fragments of the Unicode name.

Entering the code point directly in the dialog does not work correctly, but you can enter U+number in the text and toggle it. If you have at least one font on your system, that has a glyph for it, you will get it, at least via font replacement.

If you only know the glyph, then you should use a tool, where you can draw the glyph and get the character. Such is not implemented in LO, but e.g. http://shapecatcher.com/ can help.

Kind regards
Regina

If you do not remember the "U+number" code, this is a good place to start.

http://unicode.org/charts/

This is my default site to search for Unicode characters via. its place in the standard placement. There are several Unicode fonts that I have used, but each have their own set of which characters are included. Since I do not use many Unicode characters/glyphs, I have to tried find/replace for these characters very often.

There are several free Unicode fonts that have a large percent of the Unicode character/glyph set. I tend look for good fonts every so often. I hope you get your needs met for this issue.