At 18:48 03/04/2018 -0500, Anne Noname wrote:
Thank you for responding, ...

No probs!

... but I'm still confused, still inserted below my continued reply,
From: Brian Barker
Date: Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 4:30 PM
At 14:46 31/03/2018 -0500, you wrote:
... am re-sending because I really would appreciate an answer; nary a soul has responded yet.

I'm frankly not surprised.

[I don't understand]

I meant simply that, as I explained later, your question was insufficiently clear to encourage or even allow people to offer any help.

back then, & on the MsFt-compatible computer, I was able to make PPs, ...

Er, what's a "PP", please? If you get no replies, wouldn't it be sensible to wonder if people did not understand your request? Do you perhaps mean a presentation (Impress) document? Or something else?

[sorry, I thought everyone used 'PP' for Power Point presentation or Impress]

In fact not: it's only you. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PP . In any case, it is unhelpful to anyone trying to help you to confuse the name of a quite different application (Powerpoint) with a document that may have been created using LibreOffice (Impress). No-one can know whether you mean that your problem is related to presentation documents in general or a particular problem with one created in Microsoft Powerpoint itself.

... saving each version then I would place each of these together to save only the best parts.

Why would you create any parts that were not "best"?!

[for the same reason, when writing anything; first, I get the idea down as quickly as possible, then I add flourish to it, then after a few days, I return to the piece to edit]

Oh, indeed so!

Do you mean that you could edit slides from different presentations into a single presentation? Surely you can simply copy slides from the Slides panel in one document and paste them into the Slides panel of the other document? Doesn't that still work for you?

[yes, it allowed me to insert each PP into one; in fact, that's one of the main reasons I preferred LO to any of these others.

I still think it is unhelpful to talk of installing an entire presentation document (your definition of "PP") into another. So I think you do mean combining slides from one presentation document into another. And you are far away from the truth if you think this is (was?) possible only in LibreOffice: it is certainly possible in Apache OpenOffice and presumably also in Microsoft Powerpoint. It would be a poor presentation program that did not allow this. And you don't have to copy them piecemeal: you can select, copy, and paste multiple slides - perhaps all the slides in a document.

ok, How can I see the slide panel of the other PP when only the one PP is open?; are you saying, it's possible to somehow open LO more than once?

Generally no, but you don't need to: you need just to have two documents open at once. You have two windows open in the same instance of LibreOffice. That is certainly possible, and is part of the purpose of windowing operating systems - as all modern systems are.

wow, I can't image what this screen would even look like if I had 1/2 dozen LOs open at one time.]

For the present problem, you need one instance of LibreOffice and two separate document windows - not half a dozen of anything. Don't you do this sort of thing all the time? I currently happen to have open my browser, my office suite, a plain text editor, the Windows Settings panel, and my mail client. The limitation of one program (and perhaps one document) surely went out with DOS?

But this feature seems to be lacking now ...

If you explained how you did it before, someone may be able to comment on whether your method is still available.

[hopefully - thank you.]

Er, but you haven't responded to this point: you *still* haven't said exactly what you did before that you believe is no longer available. Which menu? What menu item? What process?

Yes, I can see how to insert images, ... but not how to insert PPs.

Hold on: if a "PP" is a presentation document, you cannot insert an entire document into something else. Indeed, what other sort of document would you be trying to insert it into? So a "PP" cannot be a presentation and no-one will know what you are talking about.

[ah, but it was quite possible in the LO 3:]

As I keep saying, I think it is unhelpful to think of inserting one document into another. What I am still guessing you mean is inserting some or all of the slides from one presentation document into another. Whatever was possible before, surely you can open both documents at the same time (one instance of LibreOffice; two separate document windows) and copy and paste slides from one document to the other? (Yes, you can!)

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker