At 02:09 29/03/2018 -0500, Fudmer Rieley wrote:
i copy from a pdf text to calc and writer, but neither separated the numbers into column 1 and the column 2 information to another column

PDFs are not meant to be used in this way, so I'm not sure one can ever expect anything.

when I pasted the copy to writer this is what I got. it did not separate the stuff on either side of the : into two separate adjacent columns. ( I tried it both ways pasting into a table in writer or just pasting to a blank writer tab. )

C 32:
Specification for Sewer and Manhole Brick
(Made from Clay or Shale)
[...]

My real objective is to copy from the pdf source and end up with two columns in calc as followsz ( In the same form as I want, (shown below) is how the data appears in the original pdf text source..
C 32: Specification for Sewer and Manhole Brick (Made from Clay or Shale)
[...]

If you can get your pasted material into either a text or spreadsheet document in this form, you can easily get it into a single column of a spreadsheet. It is then a simple matter to separate the two parts at the colon. A simple way is to use Data | Text to Columns... . Tick the Other option and type a colon into the box. OK. The colon will be absorbed but you will be left with a leading space in your second column text. There are various ways to remove this: the simplest is probably to replace ": " (colon-space) with ":" (colon) - no quotes - before using the above technique.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker