OK, a little more info. I just ended up trying the spreadsheet on the older machine running windows 7 and LibreOffice 5 and the filtering was nearly instantaneous. Odd because Excel (2007) on that same machine is very slow. So why would Calc run so slow when filtering using LO 6 on a Windows 10 machine but so fast when running LO 5 on a Windows 7 machine? And is there any connection to Excel being so slow on both machines?

Thx