Have you tried using Right-click -> Edit comment? When you do this, the
cursor is placed inside the comment and you can easily navigate in it.
At that point entering CTRL-A will select the entire comment text. I
tend to agree with you that accessing the comment text by clicking in
the comment when the comment is displayed is not really easy but the
Edit Comment access has always worked for me.

This works with 5.4.4 in Win10 and Fedora 26.

I hope this helps.

Rémy Gauthier.