Also to add to Virgil's explanation is what happens when copy/pasting text with the same style name or a new style name.

If you copy text from a document with style named "Default Style" into your working document, the text will inherit the attributes of the settings for Default Style in your working document. This can sometimes cause unexpected outcomes. If you want to preserve the attributes of the copied text, give the copied text a unique style name before copying it.

When you copy text from another document with a style that you don't have in your working document, that new style will be added to your working document. If you don't want to accumulate a whole bunch of new styles with lots of copy/paste; set the style of the text you want to copy to a style you already have in your working document before copy or, paste as unformatted text and the pasted text will inherit the style of the text at the insertion point.

Steve