On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 11:38:32 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@gmx.com> wrote:

<Started a new thread, was <Fixing 5.0 appearance">

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 10:59:12 -0800
Girvin Herr <gherrl@fastmail.com> dijo:

At this point I should also add that there has long been a bug with
floating toolbars on all Linux installations that I know of - that
is, if you have a toolbar floating it defeats the normal focus
actions of the Linux X-windows GUI. An example would make this more
clear. Let us suppose that I have only one Writer document window
open on the screen. While working on it I discover that I need to
use another program, e.g., Firefox, so I switch to a Firefox
window, leaving the Writer document on the screen. The Firefox
window will come up on top of the Writer document, as it should,
but when I later minimize the Firefox window I see the Writer
document is now completely visible again, but focus has not been
restored to it. And that means that clicking on its icon in the
Xfce panel will not minimize it until I click on the window to
restore its focus. Also, when I later restore a Writer document
window quite often the floating formatting toolbar fails to
appear. I can go into View > Toolbars and I see that it is still
checked, but to get it back I have to un-check it, then re-check
it. And when I restore a document to the screen by clicking on it
in the Xfce panel it comes up on the screen, but again without
focus. I wish there was a hotkey to open the Formatting toolbar,
like F11 for the Styles toolbar, but I can't find one. I tried to
create one, but I failed.

I have lived with this bug since forever, with all versions on OO
and now LO. I was hoping that this would have finally been fixed
in the new LO 5.4, but it remains unchanged. And a few years ago I
asked on one of these lists and after much discussion I tracked
the problem down to my floating toolbars, that is, if none of my
floating toolbars are on the screen the document window takes
focus as it should, like all other application windows. Also, the
problem is specific to each individual document window, e.g., as I
write this I have three Writer documents open, I closed the
floating toolbars on one of them and that window then took focus
properly, but I left the toolbars on the other two documents and
they still did not take focus properly.

I, too, use xfce4 and this window focus problem might not be an LO
issue. I use several other apps and have experienced this
frustrating focus problem with them too. I usually don't notice it
until after I type some text and discover the text is not showing up
in the window I expected. It would be an interesting datapoint if
someone in this forum who uses KDE or another Linux desktop would
confirm or deny they experience it with those desktops.

That is very interesting. I have hundreds and hundreds of applications
installed, as I do a lot of writing and desktop publishing, as well as
working with video and multimedia. LO is the only app where the focus
problem happens for me, although it does sometimes happen on web
pages, but that is surely a problem with the html code written by the
site developer. The browser itself has no problem when restored after
being minimized. I also have two computers, a laptop and a desktop,
both with Xubuntu 14.04, and I have the same focus problem on both of
them.

Yes, it would be very interesting to hear from other Linux users. We
might need to take this to another venue if the problem is not related
to LO. I originally researched this and discovered the connection
between the focus problem and floating toolbars at least a couple
years ago and I no longer remember where I asked - surely one of the
OO or LO listservs, and possibly the Ubuntu and/or Xfce forums.

I should also add that I don't believe that I ever filed a bug report.

Well I use linux but I use the openbox window manager and I don't see
any problems like this. I also use focus-follows-mouse so it may be you
need to be more specific about versions of everything and settings of
all options in order to narrow down exactly what is causing your
problems.