Last time I heard of this type of problem was in the early Windows days [i.e. Windows 95 era?].  ASCII has a non-printable character that actually causes the beep noise with the motherboard hardware.

The question is whether the "no sound" is for the sound card, the MoB's "beeper", or both.  Even if the "no sound" stops the hardware beeping, I would bet that LibreOffice might flip the "flag" used by the "no sound" option on the motherboard and not the sound card.

Those early days of PCs. PC-ATs, PC-XT, etc. did not have a sound card on the MoB.  You had to buy one that work with your PC Bus slot.  So most developers used the "beeper" character instead of using an optional sound card.

SO, there may be something withing the oldest surviving code that may mess with the "flag" settings dealing with sound.  I remember something about the early days with StarOffice[?] running on DOS