Thanks for the replies. Ive located my problem. As i said i'm new to ubnuntu and i hadn't realised
that the main menu is "migrated" from the LO window to the main ubuntu header bar at the top of the
screen. I did spend some time installing updates and things so i dont know if  that was also part
of the solution. As i said ive got quite a bit to learn over the next few weeks especially and will
have to get used to new ways of doing things.
G.