Marion & Noel Lodge schrieb am Montag, 28. August 2017 07:43:
I think my subject line was misleading.  My USB device is a musical
keyboard rather than an external HD.

I inherited the keyboard from my step son.  It happened to be a MIDI
keyboard.  This turned out to be just what I needed, as it tells me
exactly the note number that has been pressed, (or released), plus any
movement in
the nine sliders.  I have set up the sliders to correspond to the draw
bars
on a Hammond Organ.  (The draw bars determine which harmonics are used to
modify the sound produced.  A very large number of variations are
possible.)  So armed with the MIDI information, I hope to write a program
that can simulate a Hammond Organ.  Possibly a pipe dream, but time will
tell.

But to get started I need to be able to read the MIDI stream, which at the
moment is coming through a USB port.  Hence my request for any info on
code that might help help me to do that.

Seems to me like reinventing the wheel...
Did you consider to use or even look into source code of existing free b3
emulators??
There are at least bristol, setbfree, beatrix...

Stefan
--
system: opensuse Leap 42.2