HI,

You are right. The fields for user-defined layouts seem to adjust
themselves randomly (looks like a validation problem where the value
that is entered is validated before the cursor leaves the field). The
only way I was able to create something that looks like what you are
looking for is to:

1) Create an empty document.
2) Adjust the page margins to match the cutout locations of your Avery
label sheet (Format -> Page -> Page).
3) Insert a 1 row/4 column table that has no headers and no borders; if
your margins are correctly set, the table should now occupy the full
usable width of the page and each cell should be of the correct width.
4) Adjust the height of your row by right-clicking in a cell and
selecting "Size" -> Row Height. Set it to 0.67 inch.
5) Once this is done, go to the rightmost cell and insert a new row by
hitting TAB (the new row will be of the same height as the first one).
Do this until you have the correct number of rows on your page.

You may need to play with the Spacing to Content (Table -> Properties
-> Borders) of the cells to position the text inside the cells so it
stays clear of the cutout lines.

Not fantasticly user friendly but it should do the job.

I hope this helps.

Rémy Gauthier.