I have upgraded my computer and am migrating my files from Windows 7 (32-bit)
to Windows 10 (64-bit). Last night I downloaded the latest version of
LibreOffice 5.3.0.3 (x64). Writer seems to be reading files my old files
without any trouble. Impress is another matter.

Some of my slides look fine. Some are nearly illegible, because the
character spacing is too tight; letters within words and words within
sentences are squished together. And this is true in my old files as well as
in new files I create. And on some slides, there are some objects with good
spacing and some with squished.

I can manually change (expand) the character spacing for each object in
which text is squished, but even then, spacing isn't quite right. More
importantly, this seems to be a systemic problem for certain default font
sizes, especially around 28-32 pt.

Is this a known problem? Is there any easy fix, or do I simply need to
retype these slides with a different font or change the character spacing?
The problem seems to be the default font and spacing. I am attaching a
screen shot of a slide that incorporates good and bad character spacing. Any
help would be appreciated.

<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4209186/Screen_shot%2C_The_Baroque_Period%2C_with_squished_character_spacing.png>