On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:32:26 -0500
Remy Gauthier <remygauthier@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

The "-f" option (force) will basically ignore any non write access
protections. Without it, rm will prompt for each file that needs to be
deleted if the proper access rights are not correctly set (which I
find annoying when I want to delete a directory tree). In this
specific case, the intent is to remove the entire folder so using -f
will allow rm to perform its task in silent mode. Obviously, it needs
to be used with some level of caution, like any silent function
operator; this is why I also proposed an alternate method that allows
the possibility of recovery. But it is still up to the user to decide.

Indeed but unless you know that there are such difficulties in the
path, you shouldn't generally use the -f option. It's much safer to try
without it and then repeat the command once you've established exactly
what a particular problem is. Otherwise it's far too easy to mistype
the path and/or not be in the working directory you think you are and
so remove files that are write-protected specifically to reduce the
likelihood of such accidents.

It's up to you what procedures you follow on your own systems, of
course, but it's best to recommend safer procedures to the great
unwashed that may read this list.

Cheers, Dave

Rgds,

Rémy Gauthier.