Hi Ian,

But I'm confused. The Handbook says Calc can be used as the
datasource for a Form in Writer.

Don't know which Handbook you mean. The Handbook Base says:

- -----
Calc or Excel spreadsheets can also be used as the table source for
databases. If, however, a Calc spreadsheet is used, no editing of the
table data will be possible.
- -----

Could be the translation from German to English isn't clear enough,
but I haven't written anywhere in German Base-Handbuch you could use a
spreadsheet for data-input in Base or by a form in Writer.

Everyone else wants me to use Base but I'm NOT interested in this
at all as I battled with it for 7 years and could never get a
stable set-up. It crashed frequently and usually took all the data
with it or 'gabbled' the data - so you spend more time with back
ups and patching damaged data records. I can not let the end user
have such an unstable program to work with. I hoped the Calc/Writer
Form would prove more reliable.

I have created many databases, also with the internal HSQLDB. While
creating reports I got some troubles, but the users seem to have no
troubles for a long time with these databases.

For professional use I would prefer an external database like MySQL,
connected with Base.

You could use an external database also. If a spreadsheet will save
the data you need, a dBase-file will do this also.

Regards

Robert
- --