Thanks to all who responded.  For some reason I don't understand, the
zoom control has reappeared on my status bars, so problem not so much
solved as disappeared.

Ah well, such is life.

Happy days!
MR

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 10:50 AM, M Henri Day <mhenriday@gmail.com> wrote:

On 06/02/17 16:00, M Henri Day wrote:

On 04/02/17 18:25, M Henri Day wrote:

This seems to be missing, or maybe I clicke don something that made it
go away, but I can't find anything to help turn it back on.

Is this a new "feature?"  The help command does not seem to show it
being absent, but I don't see it any more.

The zoom button can be enabled by following the procedure outlined
here :
https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Adding_Buttons_to_Toolbars

Henri, I'm not sure this answers the op's problem. The link you provide
tells how to customize toolbars and the op has a problem with the status
bar.  The status bar doesn't have a context (right click) menu -
although some sections of it do and their context allows to modify what
that section does.

And the other suggestion : Tools > Customize > Toolbars doesn't help
either because the dropdown box of toolbars does not include the status
bar.

How does one modify the status bar to add or subtract different
components
?

Philip, you're quite right ; I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP
was more concerned with the zoom *function* than with just where the
control was to be found. As I mentioned in my reply above, a zoom button
can be enabled in the toolbar, but if, for some reason, one prefers to
use
the status bar, a zoom slide control can also be found at the extreme
right
of the status bar when that function is enabled....

At least it works that way for me in LibreOffice 5.3.0.3 on Linux Mint
18.1....

Yes, me too. I have both the slider and a zoom dialog at the left hand
end of the status bar but I'm working on Writer 5.1.4.2 - the distro
standard for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Your last post seems to indicate that 5.3 didn't abandon this feature
because you have it. The OP did think he might have done something to
remove it accidentally.

Is there a way for the user to add / remove features (ie customize) the
status bar ?  I don't think so.

Philip

Philip, my impression, like yours, is that the status bar in LO 5.3.0
*cannot*

be customised, but only configured to be displayed or not....

Henri