Julian,

Now that you're done (I assume), I'll confess to how much our discussion
has renewed my interest in and appreciation for LaTeX. Aside from the
insertion of your images, I have to wonder if your life would have been
easier using LaTeX for your thesis. No fiddling with master documents,
page margins or fonts... just let the computer do it all.

Several years ago, my teenage son was challenged to write a 50,000 word
novel in one month during "National Novel Writers Month." (NANOWRIMO).
The quest was to just write... don't worry about editing... don't worry
about formatting. Just write.

He accomplished his task on time, but did it with WordPerfect. As you
can imagine, by using a WYSIWYG word processor, he formatted as he typed
and it was a mess.

Several years later, I wanted to take his work and update it. As an
exercise in LaTeX, I took his WordPerfect file and stripped all the
formatting, saving it as a .txt file. I then inserted some \chapter and
\section headings, threw in a \tableofcontents command and compiled it
into a really nice looking book. The whole process took less than a half
an hour. Now, admittedly, it was a simple book, no images, tables, etc.,
but even still, had I tried to do the same thing with LO or MS-Word,
especially with master documents, it would have taken much longer, with
more headaches.

All that said, there have been many times when LaTeX had given me much
heartache, so I find myself switching back and forth between LaTeX and
LO. The process of indecision means I get educated in both systems,
which ain't a bad thing.

Virgil