I developed an interest in typography when I wrote a legal brief for the U.S. Supreme Court and had
to deal with it's very specific typesetting rules. (Did you know that 11 point Times New Roman
really *isn't* 11 points? It's slightly smaller and the Court will not accept a brief written in 11
point Times).

Typographically, layout is more important than font. A bad font well laid out will be more readable
than a good font badly laid out. In terms of layout, the biggest mistake most people make is having
text lines too long. With letter sized paper (8.5 x 11), I'll set my left and right margins *at
least* 1.5 inches each, leaving text lines of 5.5 inches, which is still too long for single spaced
text. At that length, I'll double space my text. I set a line of 11 to 12 point single spaced text
set at 5 inches.

As for fonts, I like Linux Libertine G for its extra features (automatic ligatures, old-style
figures, hanging punctuation). I also like how it matches well with its sans-serif companion, Linux
Biolinum. I will use Biolinum for headings and Libertine for text. Libertine has the same general
shape as Times, but is much more readable as it is not as condensed as Times. I don't use more than
one or two fonts for a document and I avoid overemphasis. Regular italics works nicely. I never
underline anything.

Other readable fonts are Palatino, Century Schoolbook, and some versions of Garamond. Sadly, if the
reader notices your font, then the font has failed its purpose. At most, the reader should notice
that your text is easier to read than someone else's. If you're using a newer version of Windows,
you may have Sitka Text. I just discovered this font and absolutely love it. While it was designed
for on-screen use, it prints nicely on my printer.

Many years ago, I bought an outdated copy of WordPerfect. While I don't use the word processor, its
CD came bundled with hundreds of really good quality Bitstream fonts, which are well worth the cost
of the CD. Some of my favorites on the Wordperfect CD are Iowan Old Style, Century 731 BT, and New
Baskerville BT.

If you want to learn more about typography than you'll ever need, I recommend, "The Elements of
Typographic Style," by Robert Bringhurst.

Good luck

Virgil