See my comments inline.

On 2016-10-06 20:09, Girvin Herr wrote:

What is the sense of having an edit button if it cannot be used to
edit something, in this case ott files?

Ken

Ken,

Well, you can do that.  But I think it will become a document
(odt), not a template (ott).  Templates are treated differently
than documents in LO, so you can't just open and save them like
documents.

Yes, I was aware of the difference.

 No, the best
way to edit templates is through the Template Manager.

Agreed.  That is what I am trying to do.

From the main page (no open documents) try Templates > Edit
Templates and select the template you want to edit.

Presumably after selecting the wanted template the last step is to
click on the "Edit" button at the top of the window.  That is what I
cannot do; clicking on the "Edit" button produces no result; the
desired template does NOT open.  Reporting this problem was the reason
for my original post.

Or if a document is open, use File > Templates > Manage. In the
Template Manager, select the template to edit then select the
"Edit" button to open it for editing.

In this situation I get the same result.  Clicking on "Edit" does NOT
open the Selected template.

When you save the edited template, use the Save or Save As button
as you would a document.

I would dearly like to get to this point.

There are probably other ways to do this, but I think the key here
is to make sure you open the template with the Template Manger, not
like a regular document.

I would also dearly like to open the template manager to allow me to
create a new template or edit an existing one.  What other ways exist?

Note that if you make a template from a document, you must use the Fi
le
Templates > Save as Template process, not just save a document
with a
.ott suffix.

I have managed to save a template from an existing document, but I
cannot edit such a template for the reason several times already
described.

Regards, Ken