It occurs to me my OP may not have been as clear as it should be.  To
clarify, I need to calculate the decimal value of the times involved:
(([day_end]-[day_start])-([lunch_end]-[lunch_start])) = H.nn worked

So, for example: ((17:00-08:00)-(13:00-12:00)) = 8.0

I don't believe the DATEDIFF function gives me what I am looking for, but
maybe it can with some extra work.  I was pretty sure I would find some
examples of this type of calculation out there.