I have recently read that Open Office no longer uses HSQL. Is that also
true of LO?
If a new Base is created in LO 5.1.x it will be default is "HSQLDB
Embedded" to store the data.

is it really necessary to have another database product to do database
work in LO Base?
Not necessarily, but this is a feature which allows Base to be used as
front end to another database.  This might be done for various reasons like
(1) the other database already includes the needed data, (2) a concurrent
multi-user environment is wanted which is not available via HSQLDB embedded
but is possible with HSQL split , (3) a wanted feature is available in
another database but not in HSQL, (4) a preference for another database,
Etc.  Reference this: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/FAQ_(Base)

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Dale Erwin <dale.erwin@casaerwin.org>