Paul,
Thanks for the suggestion. Someone else suggested that and I discovered in my Xfce desktop, that option is already checked. Just for grins, I tried unchecking it and there was no difference.

I think the problem has to do with that "session=" argument that LO5 does not like. Xfce is passing it, but LO5 is not accepting it. The ".desktop" file uses the %U argument.

   Exec=libreoffice5.0 %U

I suspect the two methods of starting LO5 are different and that is why it works when I use the desktop icon, which uses the ".desktop" file, but not when Xfce is restoring the last session.

Thanks.
Girvin