Stuart:

Thanks for the thoughts.

You state: "A number of suggested enhancements to the Special Character
dialog have already been implemented." I looked at the references you
provided, and find them rather well thought out from a UI perspective, and
look forward to seeing them. As of Version: 5.2.0.0.beta2; Build ID:
ae12e6f168ba39f137fc110174a37c482ce68fa4; CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Linux
3.19; UI Render: default; Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8), which I have at the
moment, they are not present, so I'm wondering when the new "Insert
Character" dialogs will be available so I can try them out.

As for posting to anything other than the User channel, both the on- and
off-line responses to the tdf#96255 bug report that you mentioned indicates
to me that perhaps NIH is a bit too prevalent for my taste (I'm long
retired, and old enough to avoid such nonsense). Although having done
software development in the past, I'm not at all used to FOSS development,
but getting acclimated to dealing with amateur wannabes (who regularly break
as many things as they fix and don't do the most obvious testing) as well as
pro developers (with whom I feel comfortable - perhaps the middle ground is
just silent?) is too difficult (or at least not worth the aggravation) at my
age.

As for "where in the LibreOffice GUI would this belong?" I suppose that,
architecturally speaking, I would say nowhere - the operating system should
supply the characters, the overlay information (แฟรงค์ โอเบอลี - note the
*separate* characters (not accents or tone marks) above the last letter in
each word) and so forth, while any app should do its own thing with that
(formatting, font choices and so forth). But - that will be a long migration
I expect.

Specifically though, an indication of "(substitute) font in use" could be
something printed in dark gray (or maybe in red as a warning) just above or
below the Font and Size selectors in the sidebar and that would be eminently
useful. If the substitute were shown in its own selector, that would be
handy for me personally, but I suspect that would cause no end of confusion
for single script users. The reality is that the usefulness of such an
enhancement would be severely limited by the random (?) font substitutions
that now occur.

The Alt+x thing was a fabulous improvement by the way; I wasn't even aware
of it until reading about it earlier last month.

Take care ...