charles meyer wrote:

Hi Folks,

I hope I’m describing this correctly.

I wanted to create a straight line horizontally across the page in
Libre Writer or Draw (that would be preferable).

I’m using Libre Writer/Draw/Offcice 5.1.1.3

It’s my understanding that when I choose the key on my PC keyboard
next to the zero key that I’m choosing an ASCI character?

Anyway, I use that key (line key) and keep pressing that key until I
reach a line length across the page I desire and it creates a straight
line.

Now, the tricky part.

How do I make that straight line thicker?

This usually is not a proper way to draw a line in Writer. It actually is not a line, but a
sequence of character that happen to look like aline (depending on the font).

In Libre Writer, I’ve opened Insert > Horizontal Line and it inserts a
line but I don’t see how you can make that line thicker?

The line actually is the bottom border of a paragraph. So you can change the thickness by
positioning the cursor just above the line and then Format > Paragraph > Borders > Width.

I’ve highlighted the entire line and hit bold – still no thicker.

No, because the line is a border and bold only applies to characters

I’ve highlighted that entire line and chosen a larger font (as large
as 26) still no thicker.

Same here, the line is not characters.

I’ve chosen Insert > Shape (singular not plural Shapes as in earlier
versions there is the plural Shapes) > Line > then Line again and it
inserts nothing.

That is the other way to insert a line, but after that selection you have to draw the line with
your mouse: click where you want the line to start and then drag to its endpoint. To keep it
precisely horizontal, press SHIFT while dragging.
The you can select the line and change the thickness with Format > Text box and Shape > Line
Instead of Insert > Shape etc. you can also make the drawing toolbar visible with View > Toolbars >
Drawing. There is a line icon (a small diagonal piece of line). Maybe that icon is also visible in
the top toolbar.

In Libre Draw, I choose Format > Line where you can adjust width which
appears in the little box to be thicker except when I click OK there
is no line in the Libre Draw document.

You first have to draw a line, in the same way as I described above by clicking on the line icon in
the drawing toolbar. Then drag a line across the page.

Thanks so much for your help.

Charles.

--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@vanoostrum.org>