Hi :)
The bug-report system is good for suggesting new ideas too.  This is also
true in many other projects too.  In the LibreOffice's bug-tracker it used
to be that one of the drop-downs (severity, urgency or whatever) had
"feature request" somewhere in it's options.

Bug-reports look a lot like emails, in that they have a "Subject-line" and
a "main message" section, and that you can add more information to them
later through additional posts.

So for a lot of projects it is enough to write "[feature request]" in the
subject-line and i think the LibreOffice devs would recognise that too.  So
if you can't find the option in the drop-downs or are shy about using them
then just putting something like that in the subject-line is plenty good
enough.  It may even help to put it in  even if you did manage to use the
drop-downs.

Many other projects have many other ways of putting forwards new
suggestions but i don't think any have found a perfect system and all have
advantages and disadvantages.

"Easy Hacks"
The Document Foundation were brilliant in introducing the "Easy Hacks"
tag/category so that new devs can try their hand at writing code for the
LibreOffice project.  This is great for;
1.  experienced devs who just haven't worked with LibreOffice before, so
that they can quickly show off and/or find out about "in-house styles" (I
can't think what the coding equivalent is but there is surely something
like that).
2.  for noobish devs who have only just learned how to code and need
real-world experience.
For this 2nd option TDF tried to set-up a mentoring system.  I'm not sure
if it really "took off" but even if it didn't it is likely that other devs
might be willing (or even happy) to give their opinions about the quality
of the code and hopefully give ideas about "best practice" or neat ideas
worth trying, or 'rules' used within the project.

So, don't worry about putting forwards ideas.  Even if they don't get a
great reception initially they may later prove to grab someone's interest
or/and lead on to other things.
Regards from
Tom :)