You could review this:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Handbook

If you think an external database is appropriate each will likely have it's
own documentation like this:
http://www.postgresqltutorial.com/

Access is unique.  On the plus side the front end offers a great deal of
functionality all within a single file DB.  On the minus side the back end
Jet database total size is limited to something like 4GB but you can attach
/ link to other Jet DBs, for some operations the performance can be
absolutely horrible, and file corruptions can be a risk.  So Access is
strong on the front side and weak on the back end.  Open source options
tend to strong on the back end with DB options like HSQL, MySQL and
PostgeSQL (I don't think SQLite can be used with Base).  Base as front end
has fewer features / less polish than Access which may or may not matter
depending on the scope of your needs.  You will likely just have to explore
a bit.