Le 16/03/2016 11:06, Ian Whitfield a écrit :

Hi Ian,

I wrote to you directly but it seems you don't like direct contact this
way - sorry about that.

Yes, that's not my thing, sorry, but I only contribute to this list when
I think it is worthwhile, or I'm having a rant ;-)

there seems to be no GUI Front-end to MySQL that does what I need so I'm
now looking at your idea as mentioned above.

You really need to define your requirements first, look into what each
potential solution can do, and then decide what's best for you, rather
than moving organically, as that is pretty guaranteed to hit a rock one day.

There are plenty of GUI front-ends to mysql, seemingly just none that
fit your requirements. I am someone who doesn't really need forms in all
their GUI splendor to do their database work. I know there are several
ways of producing a form to interface with a mysql server, one of them
being a web form. I also know that I can choose a myriad of languages to
program that form and get it to interact with the user in a way that
would be acceptable. However, all of that takes time and effort, in
particular, I would have to learn to program the web server in one or
more of those myriad languages - all of this doable, if one takes the
time and puts in the effort. The alternative is to take an off-the-shelf
solution, and accept its limitations. The expression "there is no such
thing as a free lunch", comes to mind - it might come pretty close, but
it would be pretty rare to find an open source, free software product
that does everything anyone could ever need (one could probably say the
same for commercial software too).

However I need some help with this please. I've looked inside an ODB
file and it seems very complicated so wonder if you can assist with
details of which files to save and move to preserve my Forms, (and
Queries??).

Open your Base file in LO.
Open any one of the forms, e.g. by double-clicking on it.
Now go to "File - Save copy as" and save the form in an appropriate
place on your hard disk/USB key, etc.

The form has now been saved outside of the ODB. In order to be able to
use it with the data from your mysql datasource, you will have to load
the form (it is generally a Writer ODT file) into LO and then enter Form
Design Mode (via the form control toolbar), activating form design mode,
choosing Form properties, and then re-link to a datasource that has been
registered as such within LO (in this case the mysql datasource) via the
Data tab of the Form properties dialog.

Alex