I have a strange problem with the new LO 5.1 on Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5). I installed it and
started it up for the first time. Naturally the first time the app gets verified. However the
verification took a long time and my computer got almost completely unresponsive.

Activity Monitor indicated that kernel_task had growm to more than 6.3GB (real memory). My machine
has 8GM memory. It did not take very much CPU time, but everything came virtually to a halt. Even
the clock sometimes lagged minutes behind. The verification process took more than 2 hours and 15
minutes, after which I had to leave. When I returned it had finished, so I know it took less than 5
hours. Ater confirming that I wanted to run the application downloaded from the internet, LO
continued, but it took at least 10 minutes before it appeared. In the meantime the kernel_task
memory footprint still was high, but later it dropped back to more reasonable values.

I did this twice, with a reboot in between. The reboot didn't solve the problem.

The problem has also been reported on
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/64253/libreoffice-513-stuck-on-verifying-mac-os-x-yosemite-10105/
Maybe it warrants a bug report if more people experience this.

I also tried LO 5.0.5, and its verification took about 5 minutes (still quite long I think), with
kernel_task going up to about 4GB. But at least the system continued to work normally.

So what can be the problem with LO 5.1?
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@vanoostrum.org>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/