Hello,
I have been an avid user of LO/OO-Base for years, using it to connect to a
MySQL database for everyday work --- couldn't do without it. I am convinced
that a good connection to a DB-backend like MySQL/MariaDB is essential for
LO to be successful in a "real" business environment.
As I have mentioned in earlier messages to the list, I use JDBC to connect
to my remote DB-server as well as the native MySQL-connector for my local
test server.
Unfortunately I don't have access to the remote server and therefore cannot
change its idle-timeout, which is set at 60 seconds.
On my Linux-Mint system I also connect to the server via the command line
MySQL client. If - after going away for more than 60 seconds - I come back
to do more work, the client reports the timeout, but reconnects automatically.
This is kind of acceptable, even in a business production environment.
Unfortunately the native connector does not support "autoreconnect". This
means that one would have to restart LO in case of a timeout (unacceptable
for "serious" work!) On the other hand, JDBC does allow the specification of
"autoreconnect=true" as part of a connect string. However, unlike in the case
of the MySQL command-line client, LO-Base doesn't simply reconnect AUTOMATICALLY,
but displays a message such as "The last package sent to the server was x
seconds ago, the lase received packed was y seconds ago".
This means that whenever a timeout occurs, one has to confirm the wish to
reconnect - even though one has specified that one wants to do this in the
connect string when defining the DB-connection properties in the first place!
I wonder how difficult it would be to implement such a REALLY automatic
reconnection...
Regards (and I appologise for the lengthy description...)
H. Stoellinger