Hello,

I've recently started using LibreOffice, specifically Writer, on my new
tablet. Though I think LibreOffice is a great deal improved over OpenOffice
and a fantastic tool for the user community, I can't help but notice a few
shortcomings with regard to touch screens.

I get that LibreOffice is meant to be a desktop writing tool. My tablet is
also a laptop when I want it to be thus. However, I specifically bought the
tablet in order to have a writing tool that I can hold in my hands and use
in portrait mode as a tablet. When it comes to certain kinds of writing, I
find this really helps to facilitate my creative process over being stuck at
a table with a keyboard and monitor *clackity clickity clackity click*.

So, this is for the developers, whomever you may be:

The biggest gesture related issue with LibreOffice Writer (and I'm sure the
rest of the components) is that of scrolling. Let's just start with this.
Presently the way Writer works with one-point touch (a single finger) is
fine. I can double tap to select a word, hold down, and run my finger along
to select more words. Handy-dandy. There is also other one-touch support
that is pretty functional such as moving a selection to another part of the
page. These probably work purely an unintentional extension of mouse
support, but I think that implementation of gesture scroll support should
not interfere with this one-touch functionality.

Scrolling support should be implemented by recognizing two-point touch and
movement, such as touching the screen with two fingers and moving both of
them horizontally (scroll left/right) or vertically (up/down).

I would just start with this and this only. Individual gesture support for
other things can be implemented as demand becomes strong enough. But just
making it possible to scroll through two-touch gesture support will already
go a very long ways toward making LibreOffice tablet-friendly.

Presently the only way to scroll on a tablet is to "catch" the scroll bar
with a precisely placed touch and then moving up and down for the vertical
scroll bar, left and right for the horizontal bar. When you're dealing with
a large document, this can quickly get out of hand as you fly several dozen
pages at a time with only the most minuscule movement of the
finger--completely impossible to just scroll down half a page once your
document is already over a few dozen pages long.

I would appreciate hearing back from a developer regarding this and any
efforts that may already be in the pipeline regarding gesture support.

Thanks,

ww