Hi :)
Congrats for figuring all that out and for navigating through the wiki
help-system!

The
Tools - Options
dialogue has several main sections and 2-3 of those have their own
"General" sub-section.  I think of the first main section as a "General"
section although in my current version of LibreOffice on this machine it's
actually called "LibreOffice".  Most/all of the main sections have a page
themselves and i'm not sure how obvious that is once you expand it's main
section to reveal all the sub-pages.  I guess it's one of those UX issues
that people have very different expectations of.  To me it would make sense
if clicking on the main section/heading gave me a long scrollable list of
all the settings on all it's sub-pages - but i quite like it the way it is
too and the current way makes intuitive sense too.

Now that you have posted your 2nd post it's 'obvious' to me that you were
in the wrong place in your 1st post.  However i wouldn't have realised that
in the 13mins it took you to solve your own issue.

I tend to find the quickest way to solve such problems is to ask an
appropriate mailing list first and then start hunting for an answer
myself.  Sometimes even just posting the question makes me realise the
answer immediately after clicking on "Send".  Sometimes someone posts the
right answer just as i've found it in documentation or through google.
Other times i've reached my wits end or been so stuffed-up and confused by
advice out there that the answers from the mailing list are a huge help in
cutting through.

So, i like your approach, especially the way you posted your own answer so
we all knew you had fixed it and so that people in the future might be
helped by your answer.

Anyway, congrats and regards from
Tom :)