Good evening
I just noticed something trying to open a ".doc" file a translation
agency sent me.
It contains Japanese characters and some German words/short text portions.
Opening the file in Word 2013 (don't have any other version) shows these
characters neatly separated.
Opening the same file with Writer, the text portions of adjacent
Japanese/German overlap.
One character width to be precise.

Is there a trick to correct this behavior?

Maybe related:
I was working on a different file (.docx) received from an agency. I
opened the original Word file with Writer and
saved it each time in .docx format. When I delivered the file, however,
the agency called me back and said,
they cannot open the file. I tried that on my own computer: opening the
Writer saved .docx file with Word
and got an error message, saying the file is broken. Something about an
xml code.
Saving the file as .doc resolved the problem. (file size increased by 350%)
Is that related to the above problem?
If so, what should I do to prevent this kind of problem?
(it makes me very unpopular with the translation agencies ...)

Thank you
Thomas