I have never used Libre Office before, or any ‘Office’ type software, other than Microsoft Office
2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010, and all on Windows pc's.

I am now (as of Sept 2015) an OU student and am of limited means, so The 'Open University Computing
Helpdesk’ advised me that I could try Libre Office  - as it is free and will ‘do’ whatever
Microsoft Office is capable of ‘doing’ in respect of what I NEED it to be capable of ‘doing’, in
order to create any and all documents, essays, assignments, projects, etc for my B.A.(Hon’s)
History degree course.

Is it the case that Libre Office is as 'feature packed' as Ms Office, or are there some important
features that will be missing from Libre Office when compared to Ms Office?

I ask this because the above help desk said that Libre Office is a good alternative to both MS
Office (due to the price differential), and also ‘better' than the default ‘Apple iWorks’ apps,
because Pages in particular does not allow ‘comments’ to be added to submitted documents, i.e if I
submitted an assignment to a tutor written in Pages then if he marked it and added some comments,
before returning it, that I would not see those comments because they can’t be added in the first
place. I have no idea what else the 'iWorks Apps’ are also NOT capable of doing when compared to Ms
Office or Libre Office, and even if any of these ‘missing’ features are even important anyway.

I mention ‘Apple iWorks’ apps because the computer I will be using for OU study is a Mac Mini,
which has Pages, Numbers and Keynote installed by default.

Taking the above in account, which ‘version’ of Libre Office is compatible  with the latest version
of Mac OSX (my Mac Mini is at v’10.10.5 Yosemite).

Thanks

Rob