Hi :)
+1

But Wine is about bondage in the sense that it keeps you using stuff that
is made for Windows.

Making stuff that needs Wine in order to work kinda keeps you locked-in to
the Windows world.

By contrast we see many native Gnu&Linux programs are then ported over to
Mac and Windows apparently without a huge amount of effort.  Firefox and
LibreOffice/OpenOffice are great examples of that as they have then become
serious competitors to alternatives that were only written for Windows and
then have been unable to be ported to anything else.

If programs plan to become cross-platform then initially writing for Linux
seems to be the optimum route.  Writing for Mac seems to be the next best
option.

Starting with Windows means programs or almost anything else faces a
nightmare up-hill struggle.  Even Microsoft themselves take an extra whole
year to port their office suite to Mac and even then it's a stripped-down
version.

Writing for Wine is a neat trick that i have not heard of before.  It
sounds like it neatly avoids any need for porting at all.  Wine runs on Mac
too so that is all 3 major platform covered in one hit.  It feels like
there must be an inherent flaw aside from the ethical issue of not quite
breaking free of the Windows world.  If not why on earth wouldn't everyone
be doing this? ;)

Regards from
Tom :)