On 1-7-2015 20:04, john.egger wrote:
Please pardon me if I do not use the correct terminology. I do not know html.

About a year ago I was able to open and edit my website's home page,
index.html, using LO (Writer, I think). It looked just like the web page
itself, but could be edited and then previewed to show what it would look
like when the changes were saved. Links could be changed, photographs and
text replaced, etc.

Yes, write can open/edit HTML documents (and yes, i have never used that option)

Now, however, every attempt to open "index.html" gives screens of (I
presume, html code) numbers and letters that I do not know how to work with.

If you 'presume' that, than it would be better to copy the first couple of lines (3 should be enough) to let everyone, who knows about html, know that it is, or is not, html code.