On 28.06.2015 04:24, David Allen wrote:

[...]  It's a loose compilation of answers [...]

Thanks for your compilation, David.

However - what are your ideas about consequences?

To me, it seems rather difficult to improve the situation as whatever the
idea is, it is always an awful lot of work to do. Therefore, the only
promising strategy seems kind of "crowdsourcing" the work i.e. make it as
easy as possible to contribute so that many many people can collaborate.

The historical situation was to have the local F1 help, which is rather
difficult to manage and nearly impossible for normal people to contribute.
So the folks keen to contribute created the User Guides as supplement which
is much easier to contribute to.

Nowadays, with all the collaborative internet possibilities, one could think
of a better linking of the two by creating a "combined help", i.e. a wiki
help which allows easy contribution on the one hand but is also context
sensitive like the local help. This has been started, but is far from being
functional: The wikihelp nicely reacts to F1 if no localhelp is installed,
but contribution is not yet implemented. So we have to live with this "not
yet" status for another couple of years, I fear.

That's the way I see it. Curious about your improvement proposals.

Nino