Xiha wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to make use of heading-like paragraph styles in order to
make a document of numbered paragraphs with nested levels. Something
like (view this in monospaced font if it does not show like that;
however in my document I do not particularly want to use a monosopaced
font):

1. Here is some first text and
    note how the text is aligned
    vertically in a straight line
    on the left.
    1.1 Here is a subitem of that
        first item and again the
        text is aligned in a
        straight line.
        1.1.1 And one more level
              down. You get the
              idea.
        1.1.2 Et cetera et cetera
              et cetera.

The reason I want to use paragraph styles rather than a numbered list is
that I want the structure to show up in the Navigator, which is very
handy to get an overview with its collapsible levels, and also for a TOC.

You can still use numbered paragraphs, for example the paragraph styles Numbering1, Numbering2, etc
or a copy of them. In the paragraph style choose the Outline and Numbering tab. For Outline level,
choose Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 etc. This causes the paragraphs to appear like headings in the
Navigator. For Numbering style choose Numbering 1 (for all levels), and you will apply the
different indents in the Numbering 1 list style.

After much wrangling with style definitions (Indents & Spacing) and
Outline Numbering, I can't quite get it the way shown above. Somehow I'm
not getting the straight left alignment emphasized above. Also, ideally,
I don't want to use fixed tab positions and the like: I want the first
"1" of "1.1" to align (automatically?) with the left border of the text
at "1.", and so on.

You do this by specifying the proper offsets in the Numbering 1 list style. Here is an example:
In tab Options you specify the number of sublevels. For Level n, you have Show sublevels = n, so
you get the numbering 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, etc.
In tab Position: All of them Numbering alignment: Left, Followed by Tab stop
Level 1: Aligned at 0cm, Tab stop at 0.5cm, Indent at 0.5cm
Level 2: Aligned at 0.5cm, Tab stop at 1.2cm, Indent at 1.2cm
Level 3: Aligned at 1.2cm, Tab stop at 2.3cm, Indent at 2.3cm

Each level is aligned at the Tab stop of the previous level. Tab stop = Indent, and the difference
between 'Tab stop' and 'Aligned at' should be big enough to accomodate the numbering.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@vanoostrum.org>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/