Thanks Tom.
This LO is pretty smart, looking in the .odt file it must save images with a name that is generated from a fingerprint, like an MD5 sum. If I insert an image into a new file, from the file system or the clip board (copy/paste from another application or document) the same image ends up with the same file name within LO. Multiple instances of the image within the LO document don't drastically increase the file size (it does increase because thumbnails.png within increases but the original image is only stored once). I am resetting a 142MB 148 page document that should be 1/20th that size with what I have found. I just need to check AOO now to see if the documents are editable in either because I need to print from AOO due to a regression in LO.

Thanks again Tom for stirring the grey matter. Steve