Hey Tom,
My Libreoffice slowed to the point it took minutes to load a single document. It became a choice of fix it or get rid of it.

So I kept increasing memory till the problem went away. I'm sure there's an upper limit, but I haven't reached it... yet.

Combining memory increases with loading LO at start-up gave me best results.
Fred