Oh, I'm not sure I made myself clear.
What I was asking is
Can soffice use a directory resulting from an unzip as if it were an odt
document?
Presumably all information of the document is in the directory.

So given the right starting point soffice or swriter or scalc should be able
to treat the directory as an odt document.

so normaly I would do something like

swriter thedocument.odt

but I could unzip "thedocument.odt" as otherplace/thedocument.odt (directory
name)

and do

swriter otherplace/thedocument.odt

and just be editing an unzipped odt document

Ok, it doesn't work like that but is there a way that it would?
So you might think.
What the f... is this guy thinking about?
Well I was thinking about using a standard SVC on such a directory.
Ok so LibreOffice does have a document version tracking functionality.
I was just wondering if there would be a way to do it 'old-style'.
Of course there would be a lot of  problems working this way.  (Most of all
the influence of any change would not be very clear)
I did not say it would be a smart way to work.
I just wanted to check if it would be possible at all.
:-)

-----
Michel K.