Having sheets named Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3 etc. any reference from
Sheet2 to Sheet1 or from Sheet3 to Sheet2 refers to the _previous_
sheet. When you copy this reference to the first sheet, then there is no
previous sheet which is why you get #REF!.X1
Any absolute reference to $Sheet1 refers to the first sheet. Since there
is always a first sheet, this reference can be copied anywhere. When you
copy an absolute reference to $Sheet3 (3rd sheet) into a document with
only 1 or 2 sheets you get #REF!.X1 because there is no third sheet.

You are explaining the difference between absolute and relative
references to worksheets. I already know how it works. I am interested
in users replicating the test I presented and commenting on whether
they would rather see a different default behavior in Calc (as it
happens in other spreadsheet programs).

Let me express the matter with different words. Currently, the default
behavior would give:

Sheet2.A1: =Sheet1.A1

What I am saying is that the _default_ behavior is problematic,
inconvenient and unexpected by users. Instead, the _default_ behavior
should give:

Sheet2.A1: =$Sheet1.A1

Meaning, the _default_ behavior for cells should remain, using relative
references, but the _default_ behavior for sheets should be modified,
to use absolute references (note the "$" in front of the sheet name,
and no "$" for the column nor for the row of the cell).

By changing the _default_ behavior:
_ users would get the "traditional" (expected) behavior;
_ there would be less confusion among users (sometimes seeing "#REF!"
errors, and sometimes without understanding why their worksheets are
failing);
_ in case relative references to sheets are actually needed by a user,
the correction is easier from absolute to relative notation than the
other way around.

I hope I am explaining my point clearer now.

Regards,
Ady.