Hi :)
Have you tried a dedicated spreadsheet program such as Gnumeric?  It might
be worth a try, just for yourself at first.

It probably wont solve this specific problem but a dedicated tool sometimes
trumps something that is combined with many other tools.  A "swiss army
knife" is brilliant but a carving knife is better for some things sometimes
and a proper screwdriver is better at others sometimes.

http://www.gnumeric.org/

Regards from
Tom :)