Am 17.03.2015 um 21:34 schrieb Andreas Säger:
Am 17.03.2015 um 13:22 schrieb hw:

Ok, so I want to import data from a CSV file and would like to have some
formatting applied automatically, like specifying a particular width and
conditional formatting for some of the columns when I open the file
which is sent to me by email.

It would be possible to write some extra data into the CSV to achieve this.

How could I do this?

Simply use the database engine of your choice. The one you are already
connected with. It should provide all the capabilities to export, import
and link csv table. In this case you would not need any Office suite at
all. Office users can import csv files in the office GUI. Copying table
icons from a text connected database into a regular database or copying
spreadsheet cells onto the icon of a database table.

Copying icons?

For the built-in HSQLDB this is described here:
[Tutorial] Using csv/text files as editable data source.
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=23260
And it works in the same way with later versions of HSQL.

Since you do not mention your database engine, Google is your friend.

mysql

There are thousands of hits about csv and MySQL. All this works without
any office suite and your Perl script can simply issue some SQL command
via the dbi module (I think).

Yes, it uses DBI to do its work.

I'm 100& sure that an office suite can not
add anything to your project.

It makes life a hell of a lot easier because it provides a very useful frontend.

Operate your database any way you want.
Finally you may or may not load the results into document templates.

[Example] Loading CSV into preformatted spreadsheets
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=23727

how to maintain prepared Calc templates to be filled with raw data from
csv (or any other kind of data source provided by the Base component).

Awesome, thank you! That might be exactly what I'm looking for, I'll check it out.