 Hi :)
Did "Marianne-x" actually help there?  Sometimes people don't notice
answers when they are written at the bottom of a post but in
OpenSource mailing lists people are usually told to post at the bottom
rather than at the top of emails.

I figured that maybe the file is read-only and needs to be saved under
a new name = i tend to add "-v1" at the end of files and then step-up
that number at the end in order to track which version is more recent.
It helps me keep back-ups and helps me return to a previous verion if
weird things happen.

For an entire document then it might be soemthign to do with styles
being set wrongly.  Most styles cascade so hopefully you only need to
modify one of them but i never know the hierarchy so you might need to
modify each individual style.  Then getting the whole document to
apply the correct styles should fix it but that might take a bit of
figuring out.

I'm sure you have tried all sorts of complicated things and i am
struggling to think of something simple.  All i can think of is that
you have to select the text that you want to apply changes too.  You
might need to do chunks of text and the headings separately.
Regards from
Tom :)