I edit/create large multi-part documents in LibreOffice, including use
of the Master Documents feature.   I always have the navigator pane
open.

Within the navigator is listed the "References" defined in a document.
In the context menu of a reference is a variety of options: none of
which appear to do much of anything.  But most notable is the "Drag
mode" options - which provides a "Insert as link" mode.  But references
cannot be dragged, nothing happens.  It would be terribly awesomely
useful if I could insert cross references into documents using drag mode
- especially as I am able to see [in the navigator] the references of
other currently open documents.

Is this a deprecated feature whose UI has not been removed?  Or am I
missing how to actually use this feature?

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam@whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383