At 07:11 19/12/2015 +0100, Daniel Baronly wrote:
I'm trying to put line numbering in /some selected paragraphs/. I am successful yet the line numbering is all over the document.

Hold on: that sounds as if you are *not* successful.

I tried to follow the help page, step by step, yet I keep having the same result. What am I doing wrong?

Sadly, this is the Users list, not the Mind Readers list. If the help page is correct, which we must assume, and you are unsuccessful, which we know, then you must be doing something different from what the help text suggests. Whilst you don't explain what you did, how is anyone to be able to guess where this differs from what you should have done? So what you are doing wrong is failing to explain!

o Ticking Tools | Line Numbering... | Show numbering toggles on line numbering for the entire document. This setting needs to be on if you are to get line numbering anywhere.

o In paragraph formatting, at Format | Paragraph... | Outline & Numbering | Line numbering | Include this paragraph in line numbering. you can selectively suppress line numbering in particular paragraphs.

o You can do the same thing in paragraph style formatting, selectively suppressing line numbering in all paragraphs having a particular style. The use of styles is always a Good Thing, and this is an ideal circumstance to make use of them.

Here's a suggestion:
o Tick the box at Tools | Line Numbering... | Show numbering. You will see numbering everywhere. o Go to Format | Styles and Formatting (or click the Styles and Formatting button in the Formatting toolbar, or press F11).
o Click the Paragraph Styles button at the top.
o Right-click the name of the paragraph style you mostly use - perhaps Default - and select Modify... | Outline & Numbering. o Under "Line numbering", remove the tick from "Include this paragraph in line numbering".
o OK. Your line numbers will disappear.
o Right-click the name of the paragraph style you mostly use - perhaps Default - again and select New... . o On the Organiser tab, give your new paragraph style a name - perhaps "Numbered". o On the Outline & Numbering tab, under "Line numbering", tick "Include this paragraph in line numbering". I'm guessing you will also want to tick "Restart at this paragraph". You now have two paragraph styles: Default for unnumbered paragraphs, and Numbered for line numbered ones.

To apply numbering, apply the Numbered style to relevant paragraphs. Either:
o Put the cursor into relevant paragraphs and double-click the "Numbered" style name in the Styles & Formatting window.
Or:
o Maybe more easily, select the "Numbered" style name and click the Fill Format Mode button at the top; then simply click in each required paragraph to apply the style. Press Esc to cancel Fill Format Mode.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker