Hi :)
3.  It is installed directly onto your machine/device and is not a Cloud
App.  In your words, it does work independently.

If you wanted a Cloud App version then possibly the best one is
Google-docs.  Google is one of our many supporters and their apps should
integrate fairly well with ours.  I think TDF (= "The Document Foundation",
the charity/company that owns LibreOffice) is working on a Cloud version of
LibreOffice but that is a slightly separate project.  There are also
"Portable Apps" versions that can be installed onto Usb-Stick which can
then be carried around and plugged into almost any Windows machine giving
you access to the program, even if it isn't already installed.   Mostly
it's probably easier to just use Google Apps when you need a Cloud version
and LibreOffice when you need an installed one on your machine.

2.  It is quite contra-intuitive but OpenSource keeps out-performing
Proprietary software in almost all tests and real-world cases.

Here's part of a discussion about the coverity score;
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2ns5br/libreoffice_now_has_a_coverity_defect_density_of/cmgc91n
http://softwareintegrity.coverity.com/register-for-libreoffice-scan-report-2014.html?cm=social&cs=pr&ct=none

Errr, quite a long way down in this article from ZdNet
http://www.zdnet.com/article/libreoffice-4-3-the-best-open-source-office-suite-gets-better/

Here is one article abut OpenSource security;
http://opensource.com/business/15/5/why-open-source-means-stronger-security
This wikipedia page has a few links and external sources to explore;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software_security
The first section is a bit "off-topic" but after that it starts to make a
bit of sense.

There used to be a fantastic little blog entry that explained most of it
very clearly and i was hoping that was still around but it was a bit
ancient.

There are entire Operating Systems made as OpenSource.  The most famous are
Linux, properly called "Gnu&Linux".  Another is BSD but there are others
too.  Here is one page from "Ubuntu Linux"'s documentation about Antivirus;
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

Some very tangential facts ...
97.60% of the world's top 500 supercomputers run on Linux (OpenSource), as
at 1st June 2015
02.20% of them ran proprietary systems of which,
00.20% run Windows, so it's not even the most widely used proprietary OS
and is totally insignificant when compared to OpenSource systems.

02.00% run on Unix, having dropped from around 70% 'just' 12 years ago.
Although, since Linux (and BSD and Mac) is unix-based it still kinda has a
hugely significant impact.  BSD had 3.00% of the market 12 years ago and
gradually gone down about 0 but switching between unix-based system is a
LOT easier than making the jump to/from Windows so that could plausibly
change.

Windows peaked from June 2008 to June 2009 with a fairly steady 0.80%.  Mac
peaked a couple of years earlier in 2005-2006 with 1.00% of the market.

Source;
http://www.top500.org/statistics/overtime/

If you look at performance share then you see Windows rocketed up to a
high-point of 1.5% and Mac's was 1.6% but BSD's was 11.75% at the start of
the 12 year period and was probably more before that.  BSD is also kinda
OpenSource.  Unix also started the 12 year period very high but it was
closer to it's market share so it seems less driven by perception and seems
more driven by knowledge and experience than most of the others.  Linux is
currently at 98.91% on the performance chart but looks like it is still
rising!

So the upshot is that you are likely to actually be safer using LibreOffice
than anything proprietary.  A simple way of explaining this to people is
"Security through obscurity" which is an incredibly tiny part of the whole
reason.  The larger part of it is more about secure by design.

You can always take things several steps further, such as encrypting files
and password-protecting them but i generally find they are more hindrance
to legitimate users.  Encrypting things is generally becoming much more
crucial in the world in general and that probably includes OpenSource.

1.  Many thanks "for the flowers" as they say.  Mostly we are 'just'
'normal' users on this mailing list although several people here are also
in different teams.  Our main mission on this mailing list is to just help
people overcome any problem they may have had and to help them find good
documentation.  So, mostly we just agree with you and your experience so
far sounds fairly typical of what most of us found too. :))

4.  We do understand.  Those were good and legitimate questions.  The
security question is always a good one to ask about any software.
Hopefully we have answered that adequately.

Good luck and many thanks and regards from
Tom :)