On 10/11/2015 02:37 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
+1 to both points.

The UI issue is cropping up more often but many people, get over their
initial dislike and prefer the return to sanity because it makes it easier
to find things and easier to learn new stuff.

UI changes frustrate me to no end. I tend to commit to learning a given piece of software so that its commands become second nature. Back in the days of DOS, I was a PC-Write wizard, having learned the old Wordstar Ctrl-key combinations and PC-Write's function key combinations. Certainly, the multi-tasking GUI's of Windows and Linux simply do more things, but I've never found any program with which I could match my productivity with PC-Write (in terms of just getting things done).

One frustration I've noticed recently is with LO's "Sidebar." In the past, I had my paragraph styles locked in a Sidebar. Now, the Styles box shares the Sidebar with the Properties, Gallery, and Navigator boxes, and when I open a new file, it defaults to the Properties box (a la AOO), when I *want* the Styles box. So, with every document, I now have to click on the Styles icon in the Sidebar. I've looked everywhere to find a way to make "Styles" the default Sidebar box, but with no luck. To, me this was a totally unnecessary UI "improvement."

If I could echo Andreas with a message to the developers. Please stop making changes just to make changes. Every UI change forces the user to change the way s/he uses the program, and those changes affect our personal performance and productivity, at least until we learn the new system. Yes, once the new UI is learned, it, too, becomes second nature, but I've rarely found a new UI to improve performance so much as to justify its replacement of the older way of working.

Virgil