On 15/09/15 18:32, Brian Barker wrote:
At 16:08 15/09/2015 +0100, Mike Scott wrote:
I'm using LO 5.0.1.2 on Mint. There's an oddity about page numbering,
in which differing page styles change the start page number and total
page count. So, I start LO and make, say, a fresh 3-page document, no
However, I go to the first page, bring up the stylist, and
double-click "Left Page". The embedded page counts now say 2/4, 3/4
and 4/4. And the page indicator on LO's lower bar reflects this,
o Ensure that Tools | Options... | LibreOffice Writer | Print | Other |
Print automatically inserted blank pages is ticked.
o Go to File | Page Preview.

Indeed; that shows the problem exactly; many thanks.

Making my first page a "Left Page" style forces a blank page in front of the document.

I know it's slightly perverse starting with the left page, but I have
a good reason, and surely this shouldn't make the counts wrong.

Since you are keeping your "good reason" a secret, I'm not sure what you
mean by a "left page" here. Do you mean that you want to print
double-sided with a blank front page? If not, I don't know why you need
to use the Left Page page style.

What I'm doing is printing songs - lyrics plus chords (I've pretty well sorted out my previous query, modulo workarounds). If I have an even number of pages, it makes a deal of practical sense (you try turning a page with two hands on a guitar :-) to use a double-page spread all through, which puts odd pages on the left. Odd pages on the right may be standard for books, but shouldn't be compulsory. (My 3-page example was just that, btw; not a real document)

Can you tinker with the page styles or create your own to achieve what
you need? What does each page style have for its Next Style? What do
they have for "Page layout" under "Layout settings" on their Page tabs?

And after a bit of tinkering I've even found the cure - another twiddly I didn't properly understand - the Left Page style was set to left pages only, similarly for Right. Setting both to 'left & right' stops the blank page generation.

I trust this helps.

Hindsight being perfect, the answer was blindingly obvious. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction to see it!

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England